Thursday, September 4, 2008

for sarah...

One of my best friends, Sarah, came to stay with us this summer and she asked me to pass along a recipe I made. I thought I'd share it with ya'll. It's a great recipe to make for company because you can make it the night before (the vitamin C in the oj helps preserve the color & freshness). That way you aren't stuck in the kitchen and can sit & chat over coffee in your jammies.
(What Sarah and I do best!)

BREAKFAST STRUDEL
(makes 2 strudels)


1 box puff pastry
2 T butter
1 cup frozen cubed potatos
1 cup red pepper, diced
1 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup ham, diced
1 lb breakfast sausage, cooked & drained
12 eggs (one for egg wash)
2 T fresh chives, minced
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T orange juice
1 T water
2 T parmesan cheese, shredded

Melt butter, add potatos and saute about 5 min. Stir in peppers and onion, saute 3 min or so and then add in the ham. In a separate pan brown the breakfast sauage. When that is cooked through and drained at that to the other pan. Wisk eggs and chives together. Add them to the pan and scramble until just set. Take off the heat and stir in cream cheese and juice until blended.


Unfold a pastry sheet. Roll pastry lengthwise to 12x10 then transfer to a piece of parchment paper that has been cut to fit (and place on) a baking sheet. Take half the egg mixture and spoon down the center of the pastry. Cut strips on both sides at 45 degree angle. Fold the flaps on the egg mixture to braid across the filling. Brush egg white over the top of the strudel, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake 20-30 min or until golden brown. Let cool 5 min before slicing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as Sarah did! (So you can put a face with a name here is my favorite picture of us girlies at her wedding! She is one of my forever friends.)


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recipe. I cannot wait to make it. I had such a lovely weekend when we visited and I miss our gossip sessions with coffee and in PJ's. You will always be a forever friend to and feel very blessed to have such a wonderful friend like you in my life.