Wednesday, April 8, 2009

what makes a house a home

Let me tell you a little story.....

It started out on tax day, 4 years ago. The day we moved into our first house. It has needed some tender loving care over the years and it's still a work in progress but now it's alive. It's rejuvinated. It's not embarrased. It welcomes you and loves your company.


kitchen remodel {BEFORE}

kitchen 09

But oh just ask Hunkaroonie, it's been a journey. If these walls could talk, they'd tell you too. They'd tell you all the people that have come to help, the late nights & early mornings, the blood, sweat & tears, bobcats & the sledge hammers, demolitionS, the sound of naughty words or that of high-fives, removal/addition of landscaping, a {tall & big} deck, the painting & the re-painting, the goodbye to carpet & hello to laminate, the hundreds of meals I've prepared for my {good-looking} crew, the gatorade, water, and cases of beer they've consumed. I've got pictures to tell this story but the memories, they are what count.

dining room remodel {BEFORE}


dining room remodel {AFTER}

Oh no, the journey isn't over. That house we bought {almost} 4 years ago, it's now our home. It may never be my dream house in it's entirety, but it's my home. And with all the stories these walls have to tell, I may never leave.

So come and see for yourself. I promise our home will welcome you.

The beginning.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

i love your home..because it screams...Bridgette and Casey...which means its filled with everything that's the two of you...and I LOVE IT!! ALMOST as much as I love the two of you...ALMOST!!!

Annie Pazoo said...

Found you via This Young House. The new kitchen & dining room look fantastic. Really beautiful. And those cabinets -- who knew they were such beauties in disguise? (You!) LOVE the java stain!

Jill said...

Incredible!! I love your kitchen and dining room. Where did you get your dining room table?

southerninspiration said...

Came via This Young House also, and WHOA, BABY......I love everything you've done. You must be so pleased.....it looks fantastic! thanks for sharing.

Suzanne

Fresh Mommy said...

This is gorgeous!! What an amazing couple of transformations!

:)

Laura said...

Found you via TYH - love what you did in your kitchen! I am about to start painting my cabinets black so I was super excited to see your pics!
Do you mind sharing what paint finish you used and if you did a coat of polyurethane? I painted my bathroom vanity a while back and the paint scuffs really easily so I'm trying to prevent that from happening in the kitchen.
TIA :-)

Heather said...

Amazing!! How beautiful!!

JennieG said...

I found you via This Young House... this is what i would love to do to my kitchen. Can you give us a little more details on the cabinet painting process, etc. Love what you have done.

priscilla said...

yes, i too would like to know the cabinet painting process...=) love it!

Danielle and Clint said...

WOW! How awesome is paint?? Your kitchen just looks so much more brighter and inviting. You did a great job and love that the island is a different color! You'll have to post updated pictures of the backsplash.

Anonymous said...

Also just found you via TYH. Lovely work! We have a house that must be your home's evil twin and I'm just taking things one room at a time. I've been stumped regarding how much to put into our large, way-dated kitchen - and your beautifully revamped cabinets just gave me a light of hope.

Anna See said...

Wow! Your house looks great. You should be proud! Here from TYH.

Dana said...

Please share with me your painting techniques. I have just bought 1st home with fiance and we are at each others throats on how to redo these rather ugly pink whitewashed cabinets. We read somewhere to spray paint. SO, we have..and well we aren't so sure this will be really durable/wipeable since we have to boxers. I love your kitchen and just wish this was over!

Thanks
Dana(dmt1993@hotmail.com)

Bridgette Ann said...

Incase Jill is stopping back to check...

I got my dining room table as a gift but it was old-garage sale-nicked up- kind of table.

I kept all the flaws, sanded it down more and added black stain. I got the bench (not part of set) at Pottery Barn on sale!

Hope that helps! It's garage sale season- Good Luck!

SILLy stories!! said...

So nice!! Thanks for sharing!