Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Garden Recipe: Squash & Zucchini Casserole

I love making recipes in the summer using all the fresh fruits and veggies that are available! Aren't the colors just amazing? Even if you don't like squash and zucchinis, they are too too pretty not to try this time of year! So go. Go try em.

I adapted this recipe, substituting items with things I had in my cupboard. Do you do that too?

Here is what you need:

Bread (I used 4 slices of Texas toast I had in the freezer)
4 large yellow squash
4 large zucchini
1 small can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese

casserloe 019

Preheat your oven to 350degrees.

To start cube up the bread since we need to make some homeade croutons {no need to use store bought when these are so easy}. Remember I said I used frozen bread? I didn't even defrost it, just cut it up while frozen. Throw them on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper {or any house seasoning}. Bake them, moving them around occasionally, until golden brown and crispy!

While those are baking. Rinse your veggies and start a choppin.

casserloe 017

Next, heat some olive oil in a large pan on the stove. Throw all the veggies in the pan and let em go. I like to give them a nice browning {high heat, hot oil} but don't cook them too long or they will start to get soft.

Remember to check the croutons, I bet they are done! They don't take long.

In a bowl mix the soup and the sour cream. Now, take the veggies off the stove top and grab the croutons.

You're ready to start layering! In a casserole pan {I used a smaller round one} layer the goods. Veggies. Croutons. Soup mixture. Shredded cheese. Repeat one more time {or until you've gone through everything}.

casserloe 021

I baked mine covered for about 40min {the last 10min uncovered to get the cheese all nice & golden brown}. OOO, it's all googey and bubbley. Let it sit for a good 10min before serving. I served with chicken breasts....mmm mmm good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks yumo and thanks for the tip to cut the bread frozen for croutons ......love...mom

Michelle said...

This sounds amazing!