Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dessert Recipe: Chocolate Eclair

Talk about something fast, easy, cheap, and yummy to make. I'm talking about this Chocolate Eclair Dessert. Here's the deal.

What you'll need:
1 large and 1 small box of instant vanilla pudding
1 8oz container of cool whip
1 box of Graham crackers (and I needed a few extra too)
3 cups cold milk
Chocolate (chips or candy bar)
Powdered Sugar

First up mix the pudding and milk. Then fold in the cool whip.


In a 9x13 pan start the layering. Graham crackers. Filling. Graham Crackers. Filling. Continue doing this until you are out of the crackers.

Now for the topping. The recipe calls for chocolate frosting but we aren't big chocolate frosting fans. If you are, then spread it over the top. I made more of a thin chocolate ganache topping.

Heat in the microwave 1 king-size hersey chocolate bar (we always have these in the freezer for smores). Make sure you stir every 30seconds or so. Once it's almost melted I add a tiny bit of milk and stir. Once completly melted I add powdered sugar. Probably about a 1/2 cup or so. Stir and taste to your liking. Then pour and spread evenly over the layers.

Now hold your horses. Don't dig in yet. The recipe calls for it to sit in the refrigerator for 8 hours before serving. We dug in after about 5.

I'd serve this with a cup of espresso or coffee after dinner. Yummy. And we actually liked it only sitting for fewer hours (even 4 hours would be good). If you want to make this ahead of time, I think it would get a bit soggy so I'd suggest making the morning of. Lastly, next time if I wasn't serving for a party, I would make a smaller portion of this for Hunkaroonie and I.

We enjoyed this on a hot summer evening out on the deck. Trust me, you'll want to lick your plate with this one. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Danielle and Clint said...

ok...omg! You are making me want to lick the computer screen! Looks sooo good!!