Tuesday, September 15, 2009

holler if you're ready

It's Tuesday ya'll. We've been having some hot summertime weather here, not sure when Fall plans to arrive. We are trying to enjoy it with banana splits, sun tea, and evening trips to the lake. The temperature will soon drop, sweaters will be worn, and hot apple cider consumed by the gallon so we'll enjoy these hot days that are left. But I will say Hunkaroonie is so ready for Fall and I am too.

summer 09

I'll keep my pink, purple and white flowers alive as long as they wish. They've been good to me this year. So I guess it's the right thing to do.

This past weekend we did so many little projects around the house. You know the things that don't take but 2 seconds to do so you just put it off. Well it was time. And Hunkaroonie completely finished the kitchen. It's amazing. Pictures and details to come soon. (probably next week)

summer 09

Before I forget I need to tell Erika how to make Sweet Potato Fries. It's easy. You can listen too. Anyone can do it. And now you'll realize I'm not really that great of a cook- I take short cuts. And are you figuring out that my recipes are so easy!?!

Homeade Sweet Potato Fries
(in the oven or on the grill)

What you'll need:
3-4 sweet potatos (I usually pick narrow & ones that are similar in size)
olive oil
salt
pepper
favorite house seasoning

What to do (OVEN prep):
Preheat to 425degrees. Wash and dry potatos. Put in microwave for about 4 minutes so they can get a good start on cooking. Then cut them in small strips or wedges, whichever you prefer. Place them on cookie sheet and drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil. (If you don't use enough the fries will stick to the pan.) Add seasoning and toss around to make sure everyone is coated.
Bake for 20 min or until your desired level of crispiness. If the fries are cut thin, then cooking time will be less. I usually turn once or twice so both sides get crispy.

What to do (GRILL prep):
Wash and dry potatos. Put in microwave for about 4 minutes so they can get a good start on cooking. Then cut them in small strips or wedges, whichever you prefer. Place on tray and drizzle with olive oil and seasonings. Make sure everyone is well coated and seasoned.
Place on grill. I usually use whatever grill temperature Hunkaroonie is cooking with. With the olive oil you'll get nice grill marks. I'd suggest cutting the fries into wedges for this method. They won't get as crispy on the grill (vs the oven) but they have the best grill flavor and the presentation is awesome.

ENJOY! PS- I've put recipe links on the side of my blog for an easy-to-find reference!

2 comments:

Danielle and Clint said...

I made turnip fries this week! My husband thought I was nuts, but they were actually good!

Erika said...

thanks bridgette! Can't wait to try them!