Wednesday, January 6, 2010

keeping up with The Joneses

We met my parents for brunch after church last week. As we sipped on bloody mary's and filled our plates with everything from fresh shrimp to eggs benedict, my Mom asked us what our New Year's Resolutions were going to be.

Ofcourse she had a long list, as did my Dad, about how they were going to give more, be present, volunteer, and basically save the world. I note in which they will probably do all four.

Hunkaroonie & I hadn't thought about it. And then we started to.

I have one major goal for 2010, or as I like to say twenty ten (not two thousand and ten).

DON'T CHANGE.

Or as Dr. Seuss says, "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you."

I have found it easy to get caught up. In the concept that bigger is better. More is, well more.

That a Lexus is a better than a Honda. That 5 bedrooms is better than 3. Or granite is more desirable than laminate. Shopping at Target is better than Wal-mart. Real hardwood is better than laminate or 2 carats means more than 1. That 1900 square feet is small. Platinum is better than white gold or that the memories from going on fancy vacations actually mean more. Starbucks is better than Folgers. Or spending $100 on your salon visit is better than doing it yourself at home. That a $300 purse says "I love you." Or that stamps on your passport actually mean something.

These things shouldn't matter. But it's everywhere. And everyone is doing it. Trying to keep up. Improve an image. Upgrade. To always want more than we already have.

And this has been me too.

This week we had our home appraised. We have completed our remodel and with all the "deals" out there, we thought maybe now was the time to sell. After a lengthy discussion with Hunkaroonie we couldn't figure out why. Why would we want to move? We love our home. Our location. Our remodel. Our size.

We would sell for all the wrong reasons. To keep up. To improve an image. To upgrade. To get more than we already have.

That isn't who we are. That's not who we want to be.
We aren't selling. We aren't moving. We are staying right where we are.

I'm going to try really hard not to get caught up in 2010. Not to let friends, family, coworkers, or neighbors change me in that way. To make me want more because that is who they are. But it's not me. Not us. Not who we are.

I am beyond blessed with what I already have. Besides, who are The Joneses anyways?

6 comments:

C.E.R. said...

I wear this shirt with pride...

http://courierfontwear.com/forget-about-the-joneses.html

Wishing you all the best in 2010!

Michelle said...

L.O.V.E this POST (as well as all) and I couldn't agree MORE. You hit it right on the nail!!!! We are blessed with so many gifts in this life yet we always seem to be wanting more and more. We need to be grateful for what we have and realize its the simple things that give meaning to this life not the ones with a price tag. Well done Bee. Love you

Erika said...

great post. Great reminder. Thanks Bridgette!

Jess said...

I stumbled on to your blog.

We have cartoonist Arthur Momand to thank for the 'keeping up with the Joneses' phrase. I'm a Jones, and I really dislike that saying. The only people we need to keep up with is ourselves, otherwise we're always wanting and missing the point of life. Good on you for looking at what you have and being happy and thankful :o)

Kelsie said...

Love this woman!!

Mikaela said...

The hard thing is to be thankful for what you have but at the same time to be ambitious for what you want. And of course want it for the right reasons.

Case in point: renovations. Why do we want to change our homes? To make them better. But better for our own lives and well being, not better to impress others.

It's a fine line I think! But a very good resolution =)