Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Soup Recipe: Ham & Bean

Hello Neighbors. Soups on, come on over.

burner

Mom gave me leftover ham from their Christmas dinner. It's been in the freezer and I wanted to use it up. It's winter. That's soup season.

I have never met a Ham & Bean Soup recipe I didn't like. What's not to love? (unless you are my sister-in-law) But when I made this I wasn't in the mood to follow any recipe. Just cut, chop, open, rinse, dump, stir.

What you'll need:
1 1/2 cartons, Organic Vegetable Stock
1 large onion, chopped
EVOO
Cubed ham, the better the ham the better the soup!
2 cans Pinto Beans, drained & rinsed
Black pepper

What to do:
Saute onions in EVOO. Add some black pepper. Love those brown bits forming at the bottom.

soup cookin

Add your cubed ham. And let the flavors combine. I like to get some color on the ham as well. So adding the ham at this stage is key for me. Add more black pepper if you so desire. I do.

soup

Next add your rinsed & drained beans. And then pour in your Vegetable Stock.

soup

Stir it all up. Getting the lovely brown bits at the bottom. Now you wait. Let the soup bubble and thicken. The flavors will marry. The smell will intoxicate you. Your stomach will start to growl.

no soup for you

Get a sleeve of saltine crackers and pour yourself a bowl. Be nice & share with your neighbor. The cut, chop, open, rinse, dump, and stir concept really turned out delicious. Now go ahead. Try it. Ask questions. Tweek it if you'd like. I'm not the "Soup Nazi" (Seinfeld reference for Dad). I promise.

{Recipe added to Recipe box}

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jonnique said...

Looks good! What is EVOO? Excited to try this at home. Your newest follower. Please share at my Taste This Thursday Party!!!

mel @ the larson lingo said...

Love Ham & Bean soup, I have never made one, so I am glad you linked up so I can make this soup, looks SO good!

About Us: said...

Hi Jonnique,
EVOO is Extra Virgin Olive Oil but you could use canola oil if you'd like!
Thanks for following!