Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Drink Recipe: Pineapple Infused Vodka

I first had this drink at The Capital Grille on my 24th birthday. I loved it then and I love it now.

I've always wanted to try making it at home but never got around to it. This year it was on my Summer List. It is a very refreshing summer drink and we have enjoyed sipping many of these this summer on the deck with friends.

What you need:
Fresh Pineapple
Vodka
Patience

pineapple vod

What to do:
Take a large glass container that has a lid that seals. Cut up your fresh pineapple into brick-like pieces. Stack in the large glass container leaving a small hole in the middle. It does not have to be perfect my friends.

pineapple vod

Now pour the vodka down the middle (in the hole you left). Until it reaches the top. Don't throw the empty vodka bottle away.

pineapple vod

See how the pineapple is stacked in the glass container? That's how it should look.

Now put the lid on and leave in a room without much sunlight for 10 DAYS (this is where the patience comes in). On the 10TH DAY strain the pineapple infused vodka back into the original vodka bottle (remember you didn't throw it away!).

The way we strained the vodka was by putting cheesecloth over a funnel (the bottom of the funnel in the vodka bottle) and just pour. Easy peasy.

Now put the vodka in the fridge to chill.

Shake vodka over ice and serve in a Martini glass garnished with a piece of pineapple. Remember like we did when little brother was in town?

DISCLAIMER: Apparently the vodka doesn't stay good for more than 7-10 days (after you strain it). We wouldn't know that because we finish it off way with our friends & family in a single night! Second, this is STRAIGHT VODKA so be careful. While it tastes like the best thing that has ever hit the lips (and it is), it is still straight vodka. Be careful. I'm not say'in. I'm just say'in.

There is still time to make it this summer. So do it. And enjoy. And invite me over.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum....Still waiting for my invite!

-Kristin

Anonymous said...

This is one of the more informative guides for a pineapple-infused vodka that I've seen. It should be noted however that the fruit *cannot* be exposed during the infusion period, unless refrigerated, and, even then, 10 days would be a stretch.

I am curious about the perishability of this product as well. I've seen plenty of admonitions against letting this vodka sit around on the shelf, but I can't think of a reason to justify this. If the vodka is strained of pulp, and if the alcohol content remains near 40%, I see no reason that the vodka should be drunk quickly (except, of course, for its deliciousness). Sugar actually acts as an anti-microbial in high concentrations, and a whole pineapple has a bunch. Even if the remaining particulate matter of the pineapple were to oxidize, this wouldn't make it dangerous (apple cider is brown because of oxidized apple particulates). I keep hearing two weeks as the safe zone, but I can't see how that could be gauged. I'll freeze mine anyway to be that much safer, but this seems to be someone's confusing food perishability with alcohol perishability. This isn't meant as a troll post. Just a bit of knowledge to enrich what I already called one of the better posts about this particular product.

Cheers