Wednesday, December 15, 2010

holiday baking 2010: the gifts

Our last two recipes we made to package up for gifts. For the neighbors. The coworkers. A hostess. For friends & family. Cookies and sweet treats are nice. They are very nice. But since a lot of people do holiday baking, it's nice to give gifts that are different.

We started with All Purpose Spice Rub. This rub keeps for up to 6 months. It's sweet & spicy. Perfect on meat, poultry or seafood. The brown sugar in the rub carmelizes and all the spices balance nicely. Yum. I also can't wait try on roasted veggies.

holiday baking 045

holiday treats 032

Lastly we made Homeade Mulling Spice. We are mulling spice junkies. Hot apple cider just ain't complete without it. This is so yummy. I keep a big bag in the freezer. No lie. I have not tried mulling spice in red wine but you better believe I am going to this winter. (It's Sarah Walkers favorite. Or was it Kitty's? Did you catch that in the last episode?)

holiday baking 055

holiday baking 059

holiday treats 012

As you've noticed we bought Ball mason jars, got various ribbons, and I printed labels. Then we packaged them up and wrote a special (hand written) message on one side and directions (for the mulling spice) on the other. These were fun, inexpensive and unique gifts. And they've been very fun to give away this holiday season.

holiday treats 024

holiday treats 037

holiday treats 004

And just as my message reads on the jars, May your holidays be warm & your bellies full!
If you're interested in the gift recipes, give me a shout.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my! Those are adorable! I have been following your blog for a while (but have been lame and havent commented) and have to tell you that your recipes have yet to fail me. We had the ham and bean soup just the other night which has become a favorite for sure!
I would love your gift recipes :) Also, where did you find that size jar? I have only seen the larger ones in our stores. What a great idea!!
Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

About Us: said...

Lindsey,
Thanks for commenting. Fun to hear from you. Shoot me an email (niezwaag@comcast.net) or write your email in the comments section and I'll get you the recipes!
Also, found the small mason jars at Target. Ours were located on the back wall near the kitchen gadgets (spoons, can openers, wisks, etc). They came in 4-packs and were around $3. Hope that helps!
Happy Holidays!

Crystal said...

Oh, please can I have these recipes? I have been racking my brain for gifts for the boys' teachers and bus drivers. Thanks love :)

Kat said...

Lady, those gifts are just adorable. I so wish that I was able to get in the crafting-mood this year but I just can't find it.

Truth be told, the little gift tags are probably my favorite part :) What lucky friends!