Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dinner Recipe: Pulled Pork

I love southern food. Nothing is better than a 'ol good BBQ. And a pulled pork sandwich...oh yummy. This recipe will not fail you. It's for the crockpot. It's for your hectic schedule. It's for company. Or it's for a party of two. It's great as leftovers. Winter, spring, summer, or fall. It don't matter. It's just plain good.

pulled pork rub

What you'll need:
10pound (or so) Pork Shoulder/Butt Roast
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 cup whole grain mustard
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup coarse salt
2 tablespoons pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
2 cups water

What to do:
Take all of the ingredients above (MINUS THE WATER) and mix together to form a goopy rub. Remove your roast from the package and the netting and put in a roasting pan or dish with sides. Now it's time to get your hands dirty. Smear the rub all over the roast. On all sides. Get every inch. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and stick in the fridge. I usually do this the night before but make sure you let it marinate for at least 2 hours.

Now it's time for the 2 cups of water. Put the water in your crockpot, turn it on HIGH and put your roast in. Cover and walk away.

pulled pork

Depending on the size of your roast and the heat of your crockpot, it'll take about 6hours. You'll be able to tell because the meat will just fall apart and will be super moist. I transfer the meat to a bowl, leaving the fat and water behind.

The main purpose, usually, for making this is for BBQ sandwiches. Shred a portion of the meat and mix in your favorite BBQ sauce. I served this week on fresh hot-out-of-the-oven dinner rolls. But we also love putting on big kaiser rolls and topping with coleslaw. Oh goodness. Lick your lips delish.

pulled pork sandy

Sometimes the meals from the leftovers are even better. (And for this reason, I do not put the BBQ sauce over the entire amount of meat. Just a portion.) This week we are using the shredded pork for canitas (with homeade dirty rice). And in the winter we usually make a dish that my mom made I was little. Talk about comfort. A slice of bread, topped with shredded pork, then warmed up in the microwave. Then top with homeade gravy. It's one of those comfort meals for me that you can't beat or change.

Enjoy my friends. This will be added to the recipe box.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Beautiful! I mean, I basically can't think of an occasion where pulled meat isn't welcome...you know?

Plus, I'm a major sucker for BBQ sauce. You could put it on anything and I'd be there in a shake of a lamb's tail!

Kelli said...

YUM!! I also posted a pulled pork recipe on Mel's blog but this looks amazing. I will have to try this next time. I like the idea of letting it sit overnight :)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

Love pulled pork & love the idea of not putting BBQ sauce on all of it so that you can use it for carnitas...great idea! Thanks for linking up!